<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 06, 2003


I have found something to be particularly of interest to me. Whenever I meet new people (of which is a rarity, since I am deathly shy) or have the extreme pleasure of meeting new people, after a while they tend to think of me as funny and easy to talk to. What strikes me as odd is the fact that I rarely say anything in a new group and try to remain inconspicuous as possible, is my form of timidity just amusing to people? or is it just something people say to each other these days. What also strikes me is the fact that girls who have the courage to ask me anything will find me amusing to be around with just because when they talk all I do is nod or acknowledge what they are saying. I make friends more when I sound less conspicuous and try not to make myself too obvious, I have seen this acted out several times long ago and I assume it was the open nature and flighty nature of these people that has helped me make friends. Although since I am in college and the small town theory and close together group is traded with crowded and impressionism facts where everyone is considered an enemy until you talk to them. Is it me or do people just dont seem open, in such a diverse setting I have found that white people tend to be more open, especially males, asking for a name or just to say hi. Native americans attitude toward strangers varies I think on the region on which they are located, eastern and plains tend to be more open, especially in an atmosphere where there are exclusively natives. Western natives on the other hand tend to be overly suspicious of each other. The Navajo tribe (to which I am affiliated with) tend to be even more suspicious and covert than others, I have found that natives living with other afflilations tend to be more open and willing to talk to someone. So far since I have started school I have made officially one friend, a white male from Los Lunas who, coincidentally, knew a Navajo and was apparently fluent in basic Navajo customs, another person I know was my old roomate from the summer sessions who knew my friends cousin, there is a native I have met alongside the Las Lunas Male who wanders from room to room in our dorm and occasionally pops in to watch me and my roomate play games or just to watch tv. I have yet to speak to another native face to face save for my roomates friends and their friends, who i occasionally "talk" to.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?